|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.yrd.ca|| Informational|
Most Viewed- Things That Are Misnamed
- Bell Time On Shipboard
- Etiquette Of Courtship And Marriage
- Accent And Pronunciation
- Etiquette Of The Visiting Card
- Formalities In Dress And Etiquette
- Mourning Customs
- Maximum Age Of Trees
- Proper Apparel For Men
- A Dollar Saved A Dollar Earned
- A Lady's Chance Of Marrying
- A Cure For Love
- The Mysteries Of Palmistry
- Mourning Colors The World Over
Least Viewed- Principal American Cities
- Recipes Trade Secrets Etc
- Hand Grenades
- Rules For Fat People And For Lean
- Care Of The Eyes
- The Wonderful Human Brain
- Facts To Settle Arguments
- Doing Business With A Bank
- Presidents Of The United States
- Would You Be Beautiful?
- Infant Feeding And Management
- Principal Points Of Constitutional Law
- Shakespeare's Counsel
- Merchants' Cost And Price Marks
- Some Of Nature's Wonders
- The Rule Of The Road
- Handy Weights And Measures
The Language Of The Flag
To strike a flag is to lower the national colors in token of
Flags are used as the symbol of rank and command, the officers using
them being called flag officers. Such flags are square, to distinguish
them from other banners.
A flag of truce is a white flag displayed to an enemy to indicate a
desire to parley or for consultation.
The white flag is a sign of peace. After a battle parties from both
sides often go out to the field to rescue the wounded or bury dead under
the protection of a white flag.
The red flag is a sign of defiance, and is often used by revolutionists.
In the naval service it is a mark of danger, and shows a vessel to be
receiving or discharging her powder.
The black flag is a sign of piracy.
The yellow flag shows a vessel to be at quarantine or is the sign of a
A flag at half-mast means mourning. Fishing and other vessels return
with a flag at half-mast to announce the loss or death of some of the
Dipping the flag is lowering it slightly and then hoisting it again to
salute a vessel or fort.
If the President of the United States goes afloat the American flag is
carried in the bows of his barge or hoisted at the main of the vessel on
board of which he is.
Next: Death Sentence Of The Savior
Previous: Things That Are Misnamed