Most Viewed- Things That Are Misnamed
- Bell Time On Shipboard
- Etiquette Of Courtship And Marriage
- Etiquette Of The Visiting Card
- Accent And Pronunciation
- Formalities In Dress And Etiquette
- Mourning Customs
- Maximum Age Of Trees
- Proper Apparel For Men
- A Lady's Chance Of Marrying
- A Dollar Saved A Dollar Earned
- A Cure For Love
- Mourning Colors The World Over
- Altered Words And Figures
Least Viewed- How To Detect Counterfeit Money
- What Causes Coughs
- How To Select Colors
- Cleansing The Teeth
- Dreams And Their Meaning
- Marriage And Divorce
- Principal Points Of Constitutional Law
- Principles Of Parliamentary Law
- For Swollen Feet
- Death Sentence Of The Savior
- Facts To Settle Arguments
- Feminine Height And Weight
- Last Words Of Famous Men And Women
- Memory Rhymes
- To Develop The Bust
- What Housekeepers Should Remember
- Number Of Miles By Water From New York
The Language Of The Flag
To strike a flag is to lower the national colors in token of
Flags are used as the symbol of rank and command, the officers using
them being called flag officers. Such flags are square, to distinguish
them from other banners.
A flag of truce is a white flag displayed to an enemy to indicate a
desire to parley or for consultation.
The white flag is a sign of peace. After a battle parties from both
sides often go out to the field to rescue the wounded or bury dead under
the protection of a white flag.
The red flag is a sign of defiance, and is often used by revolutionists.
In the naval service it is a mark of danger, and shows a vessel to be
receiving or discharging her powder.
The black flag is a sign of piracy.
The yellow flag shows a vessel to be at quarantine or is the sign of a
A flag at half-mast means mourning. Fishing and other vessels return
with a flag at half-mast to announce the loss or death of some of the
Dipping the flag is lowering it slightly and then hoisting it again to
salute a vessel or fort.
If the President of the United States goes afloat the American flag is
carried in the bows of his barge or hoisted at the main of the vessel on
board of which he is.
Next: Death Sentence Of The Savior
Previous: Things That Are Misnamed