Relics Of The Boar's Head Tavern Eastcheap
The portal of the Boar's Head was originally decorated with carved oak
figures of Falstaff and Prince Henry; and in 1834, the former figure was
in the possession of a brazier, of Great Eastcheap, whose ancestors had
lived in the shop he then occupied since the great fire. The last grand
Shakspearean dinner-party took place at the Boar's Head about 1784. A
boar's head, with silver tusks, which had been suspended in some room in
the house, perhaps the Half Moon or Pomegranate, (see Henry IV., Act.
ii., scene 3,) at the great fire, fell down with the ruins of the
houses, little injured, and was conveyed to Whitechapel Mount, where it
was identified and recovered about thirty years ago.
* * * * *