Most Viewed- Things That Are Misnamed
- Bell Time On Shipboard
- Etiquette Of Courtship And Marriage
- Accent And Pronunciation
- Etiquette Of The Visiting Card
- Formalities In Dress And Etiquette
- Mourning Customs
- Maximum Age Of Trees
- Proper Apparel For Men
- A Dollar Saved A Dollar Earned
- A Lady's Chance Of Marrying
- A Cure For Love
- The Mysteries Of Palmistry
- Mourning Colors The World Over
Least Viewed- Workingmen Easily Gulled
- Jefferson's Political Policy
- Care Of The Scalp And Hair
- The Right Of Dower
- Time In Which Money Doubles
- When Quinine Will Break Up A Cold
- Paying Notes And Acceptances
- Dictionary Of Dreams
- Toasts And Sentiments
- The Declaration Of Independence
- Presidents Of The United States
- How The Presidents Died
- The Art Of Not Forgetting
- Happiness Defined
- The Names Of The Months
- Rights Of Married Women
The Names Of The Months
THE DERIVATIONS OF THE NAMES OF THE MONTHS.
January.--The Roman god Janus presided over the beginning of everything;
hence the first month of the year was called after him.
February.--The Roman festival Februs was held on the 15th day of this
month, in honor of Lupercus, the god of fertility.
March--Named from the Roman god of war, Mars.
April.--Latin, Aprilis, probably derived from aperire, to open; because
spring generally begins, and the buds open in this month.
May.--Lat. Maius, probably derived from Maia, a feminine divinity
worshiped at Rome on the first day of this month.
June.--Juno, a Roman divinity worshiped as the Queen of Heaven.
July (Julius)--Julius Caesar was born in this month.
August.--Named by the Emperor Augustus Caesar, B. C. 30, after himself,
as he regarded it as a fortunate month, being that in which he had
gained several victories.
September (septem, or 7).--September was the seventh month in the old
October (octo, or 8).--Eighth month of the old Roman year.
November (novem, or 9).-November was the ninth month in the old Roman
December (decem, or 10).--December was the tenth month of the early
Roman year. About the 21st of this month the sun enters the Tropic of
Capricorn, and forms the winter solstice.
Next: Days Of The Week
Previous: Infant Feeding And Management